Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I just have to deal, I guess

This whole economic crisis is starting to harsh on my mellow. Lots of people are running around all paranoid about job security and where their next paycheck is going to come from. And I don't like it. Not one bit.

Who is next to lose their job? Me? My husband? You can't tell who it will be. There are lots of big companies announcing plans to lay off huge chunks of their workforce. Oh gee, that's GREAT! My boss (I mentioned her in an earlier post...the HR Director of Doom) doesn't really keep me in the loop about all of the big evaluation and review meetings currently going on behind closed doors under the cone of silence or whatever. Whenever she passes by, she gives me a fake smile that screams "I know something you don't know and I'll never tell you and it could include you and you won't know until it's too late but I know you know that I know something..." Har dee har har. Thanks a whole freakin lot. Not as if I don't feel insecure enough about the company's welfare, now you have to throw this fear at me. I swear she does this on purpose. Go ahead and do it, HR lady. It's the only power you have. Still, it's more than I have.

My husband is also worrying about his job security. His company has another round of layoffs happening at the end of the month. He's going to start bringing some personal belongings home now just so it won't be a big mess if he does get cut. Isn't that thoughtful of him?

I know...I'm worried over something that hasn't happened. This is what's harshing on my mellow. I don't like the fact that I'm doin this. I don't know about you, but I don't see the economy turning around any time soon. I keep hearing that it's going to suck for a long time. There are people who will never know what it feels like to be worried about job security and who are all set with money and property and they are "all set". Me? Not so much.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

In younger days I worked for the MA Army Nat'l Guard. In Nov of 1992, rumors were that if Bill Clinton got elected that there would be massive layoffs in the Spring. Well, didn't he get elected. Spring neared and the man in charge of doing the books and figuring out who would become dead wood worked in my building and in my office. Each day I'd say "Morning Jack. Am I getting furloughed?"

Jack, a truly nice man, would look uncomfortable and say, "Now you know I can't say."

A few weeks go by and rumors increase and the rumor is that the forthcoming Monday would be Ax day. So on Friday I say to Jack, "Jack, I'm in the market for a boombox. Now, if you were me, would you buy the really, really, hugely expensive boombox or the cheapest boombox they make?"

Jack kind of laughed and said, "Well, if I were you, I'd probably go for the more affordable one."

So, there it was. I knew it was coming. I had the weekend to prepare. I didn't buy either boombox, btw.

Maybe you could tell your boss that you're buying a new car and you're torn between a Kia and a Merc C-Class...then ask her which she'd buy if she were you.

mulderjoe said...

Sparks, isn't there any way you can trip your boss as she walks by with that knowing face without it looking intentional?

I just go into my boss' office and fart.

I Ain't No Oprah said...

The economy is fine.

It's just a clever ruse to make Obama look good when it 'turns around'


Impeach Obama NOW!