Sunday, May 31, 2009

the last taboo

OK, so let me come out of the last closet here. The very last closeted and hated minority. I am an Atheist. This disqualifies me from ever becoming president, unlike being black or a woman. It is not a closet that I come out of lightly. I spent 8 years in Catholic school with real penguin nuns who smacked my knuckles with a ruler. Well actually they had Richard Armour, the biggest kid in the class do the duty as they supervised, I guess to have "plausible deniability". They were STILL responsible. Anyway after a bunch of years as an agnostic, I've made the plunge. Now I must admit that god talks to me more than most people. When I'm baking cookies and one falls on the floor, that is the creator of the universe telling me to eat a cookie. Otherwise, the messages are less specific and this is because they are not coming in. And they are not coming in because no one is sending them. There is no god. Nobody really gives a shit about your life except for your mom, and she might only care because of how it reflects on her. Create your own identity and meaning, read some Sartre. Be good to people. Do not judge (no one wakes up at 12 years and says "Crack whore! that's the life for me!"). Near as I can tell, most people are doing the best they can with the resources (financial, emotional, etc.) that they have. This includes your parents. So forgive them as you do yourself, there is no permanent record. The only person that gives a shit about you is you. Make it worthwhile!

4 comments:

Baby Jesus said...

Well, there's one person off my Christmas card list...

Cake said...

Oh...nicely said.

mulderjoe said...

"No, I don't know that Atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God."

- George H.W. Bush, 8/27/87

As one of the foremost thinkers of our time, you should always listen to what Daddy Bush says.

Bill theCat said...

pfffffffffffffffft