Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Lunchtime buffets

So today we went to lunch at Firefly's, a local barbeque chain (of two restaurants). They have truly mighty homemade sauces. The waitress arrived, took our drink order and told us that they have an "all you can eat" buffet available. Quite naturally, there was no longer a need to look at the menu. Decision has been made.

As with any buffet, it's better to take an early lunch rather than trying to wait out the lunchtime rush. When the lunch crowd begins to taper off, the turnover of fresh food is practically non-existent.

Now, I know that the common perception of an "all you can eat" buffet is one of fat Americans slothing up to the food bar and piling their plates way over capacity, only to do a circus-level balancing act back to their table. Only to repeat this once their plate has been emptied. Because, hey, it's all you can eat, right?

Let me explain how a luncheon buffet should work:

Buffets are wonderful as you can essentially get what you really want - a sampler dish of what the restaurant has to offer. Now, it's imperative that you check out the offerings first. A few restaurants make it policy to offer low-quality meats and sides in the hope that you'll eat what you can and then move along. Let the truly deserving order from the menu and get the quality the restaurant wishes to be known for. Fortunately, Firefly's buffet is filled to the brim with their best offerings.

What you do is grab a plate and begin to scoop small portions of everything you are interested in trying. Buffets will most often have smaller diameter plates so people don't waste too much food. You do NOT fill this little plate to the point of hiring a truck to transport your food to the table. Take many - but not much. Leave fillers like bread and rice, take vegetables if they look fresh. Chinese restaurant buffets are famous for filler, and offer more crap choices than other restaurants. Choose wisely, Indiana Jones.

Sit back and enjoy what you've sampled. Take note of where each item is on your plate so you know what you like best for your return visit. Once finished, sit for a minute and watch the line. If a large group is up there, wait for the chef to bring out fresh replacements...then attack! The waiting not only benefits your palate, but gives your sampler time to digest. That way you won't be tempted to rush up there once your plate is clear, come back with fat American portions and proceed to stuff yourself.

Usually with the sampler method, you'll choose a few items which truly stand out. When you head back up to the buffet table, take a scoop or two of your favorite item, some corn bread and return to your table. Eat slowly, chew your food, and try to appreciate each bite. Help change the phrase "all you can eat" from one of gluttony to the concept of gourmet sampling.

Hopefully this way we can work to change the "Fat American" stereotype.

(Of course, my going to a buffet will not help my argument, as I am a citizen of the United States who happens to be a little on the heavier side. "Gravitationally Challenged" as we like to say).

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I absolutely love buffets. Being Canadian and not a typical American I can say that my favourite parts of Buffets are always Salads. Seriously I could make the same salad at home as at a salad bar and it takes me 10 years to eat it. At a buffet however, 10 seconds max. Absolutely adore them.

Why is it that salad bar salads are so much better?

There used to be this little restaurant near the YMCA where I worked out and they had an AWESOME salad bar. All kinds of different veggies and beans and breads even small slices of foccacia...man I miss that place.

What were we talking about?

Gustavo Larry said...

LOL @ "a little on the heavier side". I heard a saying that "America is super-sizing their way into obesity".

Joe,
I think I speak for everyone when I say that you strategize way more about buffets than the rest of us do. I thought the only people who go to buffets are the ones who can't agree on the restaurant.

Horroru said...

My favorite Buffett right now is Warren, who's pumping $5 billion into Goldman Sachs, betting that the U.S. financial system isn't about to collapse.

Damn good for him! At least he's doing SOMETHING to try and help the situation, self serving or not.

My second favorite buffet would be Firefly's, as well as being one of my favorite TV shows.

My least favorite is Frisky's Buffet, which tastes like crap.

(don't ask me how I know what cat food or crap tastes like....)