Wednesday, September 24, 2008

top 10 reasons for scheduling the first presidential debate for Friday night

Is date night traditionally Friday night or Saturday night? Doesn't matter. I haven't been on one in years. And most of us can't afford to go out anyway. So there's the reason for scheduling the presidential debate for Friday night.

1. Captive audience. No one can afford to go out.
2. Heck, we can't even afford a decent cable package.
3. Netflix, nope. that's gone from the budget too.
4. There's nothing else good on TV.
5. Sleep? Can't. Worried about the state of the economy (luckily, the debate is on foreign policy)
6. Visit with friends? What are we going to talk about ... the election.
7. Jim Lehrer doesn't want to work on the weekend.
8. John McCain doesn't want to work on the weekend.
9. Barack Obama doesn't want to work on the weekend.
10. The debate doesn't matter. At this point, folks are either voting for or against Sarah Palin. Forget the dudes.

Ok, so that's really only got one reason, but man it feels like 10. And so we'll sit on the floor and clutch our children and rock back and forth and hope like hell that McCain says something so completely, profoundly stupid that ... What? What do you think is going to happen, Amy? Nothin. That's what. See point 10 above.

7 comments:

Sparkle Plenty said...

Amy! I'm with ya 100%. Except, I don't have kids. Can I sit on the floor and clutch the dog and rock back and forth and hope like hell that McCain strips, takes out his teeth, starts streaking around the stage like grandpa always did at Thanksgiving (wait--yours didn't do that?), and...oops. See #10.

Kathy said...

It seems to me that when I was a kid, the Olympics were on for 1 week and you saw all the good stuff. No "semi semi semi finals", "semi semi finals" "almost nearly there finals". When I was a kid, Presidential debates were conducted over a series of months and nights. Back then, much like today's Olympic beach volleyball tourneys, the debates seemed to go onnnnnnn and onnnnnnnn. Just a small digression...now back to Amy.

Amy - the debate is important because it provides me with the opportunity to 1) mock all the participants 2) catch up on my magazine reading while it runs in the background and I can still intermittently mock the participants and 3) brush the dog while mocking the participants. I suppose I could dust.

How many calories are burned by rocking back and forth?

mulderjoe said...

Currently*, I have TiVo, so I don't care when they decide to air the debates.

Then again, if they air the debates opposite "House" or "Bones", then they're sh*t outta luck.


* 3a: if the economy continues to go to crap, TiVo's out, selling everything I own on eBay's in.

I Ain't No Oprah said...

etvidmln

Those were my verification letters to leave a comment.

I hate typing in verification letters...even cool ones like etvidmln.

mulderjoe said...

well, you probably don't get spammed a lot on your blog, cause, you know, you ain't no oprah.

wafrjpkv

Sarah said...

I don't have to put verification letters in, so hah!

mulderjoe said...

Btw, my TiVo is set for the Vice Presidential debates.

This oughta be a hoot.