Friday, October 10, 2008

Friday Musings

I have heard that you can only get really good bagels in NYC. I live in Boston, and have just eaten a bagel that was perfectly yummy. Are the bagels in NYC really that much better than anywhere else? Or is it just PR for a city that is basically a waking nightmare?

There were a number of movies that I missed this year that I really, really wanted to see on the big screen. I asked my good friend HorrorU if Hellboy 2 had been released yet. He looked at me like I had lobsters crawling out of my ears.

I am addicted to caffeine. If I don't have coffee in the morning I get a headache that even an overdose of Advil won't cure. A co-worker said that after a couple of days of headaches they go away and you're over the addiction. And the funny part? I resisted the caffeine-fueled urge to maul him. Hippy.

Speaking of hippies, remember when the Democrats were kinda like hippies? Yeah, good times.

Simon Pegg should be in every movie. And most TV shows. (He starred in a BBC comedy called "Hippies". Not as non-sequitor as you might have thought, there).

HorrorU and I were also talking about one of our favorite TV shows, "Angel". I realized the other day that the show really did jump the shark when the Connor character was introduced. I was in denial about this for many years...until I saw a few episodes on the morning rerun on TNT. I actually changed the channel to the news. Now I'm wondering what other favorite shows of mine are actually crap...

Every Friday I eat a bagel (see above) and pop over to Amazon.com for their Friday Sale. They have a Gold Box sale every few hours which posts a good deal on a particular item. The Friday sale is kinda the same thing, just a lot more of it. Kinda like with my revelation of "Angel" and my caffeine monkey, I realized that I'm also addicted to online shopping. I began to put things like wooden laptop tables, ground coffee and turbo nose hair clippers in my shopping cart when that revelation struck. I can actually save more money by NOT buying these on-sale items. Besides, my nose hair keeps me warm on cold winter nights.

Not too long ago, the aforementioned hippy and another save-the-mother-earth type were trying to out-vegetarian each other in our workplace kitchen. Nothing drives me crazier than two PETA members bragging about how you don't eat meat and how evil people who do, are. Of course, I jumped right into the conversation, saying that veal is so good that I think we should cage all baby animals and eat 'em that way. The look of abject horror was enough to make me smile for the rest of the afternoon. Smiling now, as a matter of fact.

Another workplace pet-peeve: you are NOT a hero if you fix something you broke.

Nuff said.

6 comments:

Kathy said...

nonono....it goes like this:
You're not a hero if you pushed the person into the water in the first place.

And I know who you mean.

Yes, Connor sucked the life out of "Angel". Figuratively speaking.

Neil Gaiman should've written an episode of both Angel and Buffy.

NYC bagels aren't all that.

Simon Pegg rocks.

Hippies aren't all that (either).

Patchouli smells like dirt. Hippies don't notice cuz their feet smell worse.

The guy (who isn't a hero cuz he broke stuff/pushed people in to begin with) - he has this HUGE nose hair that casts a shadow.

Horroru said...

LOL, yes I was shocked Joe that you missed Hellboy 2 -- I'm even more shocked that Jen and I were actually able to get a babysitter to go see the damn thing. Del Toro again delivers a fantastic movie, a very worthy sequel with one of the best uses of a Barry Manilow song ever.

Simon Pegg indeed rocks, his show SPACED is excellent, just finished watching 2nd season.

As much as it pains me to admit it, you're probably right about Angel. Although the show was never as good after that, it did have it's moments (like Illyria).

To Kathy's post: Ewwww!

mulderjoe said...

I love SPACED. Really great show. If you haven't checked out Black Books, YULE LOVE IT.

Horroru said...

YULE LOVE IT!
LOL
Joe, you're still hoping for a Cajun Christmas...

mulderjoe said...

With Robert Goulet...

Sarah said...

Of course, I jumped right into the conversation, saying that veal is so good that I think we should cage all baby animals and eat 'em that way.

that made me almost fall out of me seat! Somehow I can 100% see you saying that!