Friday, August 29, 2008

How to choose a President: look at their VP choice

An announcement came across the wire this morning regarding McCain's running mate. After a moment's hesitation, I scroll downward. Expecting to see Mitt Romney's puss in the body of text, I was surprised to see this one instead:


I was thrilled. You see, even though I'm a Against The Wall Democrat (that's someone who votes Democrat because the Republican candidates are horrific...and in the case of our current President, amazingly idiotic), I've always been a fan of John McCain. Over the years, I've learned to respect his ideology, his combat experience and his generally rational statements. And when I opened up this news report to see his VP candidate and to my surprise he picked Tina Fey...my vote instantly went to him.

Reading on, I discovered that the photo was not, in fact, of Tina Fey. This is Sarah Palin (any relation to Michael?), a 44-year old first-term Alaska Governor. She is also a member of the NRA, a self-proclaimed hockey-mom, likes to hunt, eats Moose burgers, likes to ice fish, ride snowmobiles (did I mention she lives in Alaska?), and has admitted freely to using marijuana (when it was legal in Alaska) but said she didn't really like it. She also came in second place in the Miss Alaska pageant.

Palin is married to a native Yup'ik Eskimo and has five children. Todd, her husband, is a commercial fisherman and champion snowmobiler, winning the "Iron Dog" race 4 times. Her eldest son is enlisted in the US Army and is currently serving his country in Iraq. Palin's next eldest son has Down's Syndrome.

I find her background utterly fascinating. This is the kind of candidate I would have liked to see Obama pick. Instead, he picks Joe Biden, who...while a respected Washington politician...is, well, a respected Washington Politician. I expected more of a radical choice for Obama. Someone who could work with the President, rather than continually trying to overshadow him. AND get this: Mr. Attack Dog Biden is going to look like an a-hole bully when trying to slam her when they have their debates. At the same time, he'll look like a wuss if he goes easy on her. I love this.

I have yet to make up my mind who to vote for (like it matters...I live in Massachusetts. Obama's pretty much got a lock on this commonwealth). Initially, I wanted to vote for McCain. Then he totally ruined his chances with me by indicating that he would, essentially, carry on where the Bush administration left off. I mean, come ON, McCain! What is wrong with you?! Make your own mark in history and help bring our country back to the greatness it entertained prior to the Bush years. If you were following the worst president in US history, wouldn't you just disavow him and make your own plan? McCain could continue what was going on...just DO NOT MENTION BUSH. Obama is for change, and therefore it looked as if I was voting ATW Democrat again.

But now...stop the presses. If McCain does pick Sarah Palin for a running mate, it will totally give me pause. This is the kind of politics I like: something unexpected and positive. I mean, she's like a model Republican. But you know, that's okay. She also seems like a normal person...something that Joe Biden stopped being decades ago.

Mr. McCain, please: just denounce the moron Bush and his administration and I'll be happy. With Bush's approval rating history being the lowest of a sitting president ever, there's no drawbacks to this idea. Formulate a withdrawal plan for Iraq, redeploy troops after Bin Laden, bring home the rest and start rebuilding the economy and chip away at our unbelievable deficit. In other words, pretend you agree with some Democratic principles just for once. It's the right thing to do...

Mr. Obama, please: Biden is an attack dog and has been fairly proud of that fact. I cannot see how his rhetoric will help you. He's currently preaching to the converted. If you sent him over to the RNC and had him outside on a soapbox attempting to convince people to turn around, then okay. But you won't and he's frankly just not helping your positing. Hillary would have been a better choice for you, Mr. Obama. You might as well picked Senator Simon and his little bow ties. Damn, even John Kerry...but if there's time, dump just Biden.

Although if your other choice is Al Gore, Biden's fine.

5 comments:

su said...

Yuk on this choice!

mulderjoe said...

So we have one vote for "Yuk". Anyone else?

Kathy said...

I had a Moose burger once.
Tasted like chicken.

Vote for Tracy Flick

mulderjoe said...

I owned a cat named Moose once.

And I'm voting for Alice Cooper!

Horroru said...

How can anyone not vote for McCain now?? This is an absolutely historic moment, and eveyone should support him and Sarah.
I'm going to look back on this and be so proud I was one tiny cog in making the dream happen!
Our first MILF Vice Pres, you bet I'm casting my vote!! Twice!!