Thursday, August 14, 2008

The NFL season...and do I care?

For those of you who don't know, I am a tremendously huge New England Patriots fan. I often check eBay for Mosi Tatupu jerseys. I TiVo every NFL game, but rarely will I watch the Patriots live. I cannot bear commercials while watching my favorite team play my favorite sport to watch (I prefer playing baseball, if you're curious). I read about the Pats and the rest of the league as much as possible and have been considering taking my love of the game into the realm of Fantasy Football.

Now, the 2007 season was a remarkable time to be a Pats fan. Going undefeated every week, records being smashed...all in the wake of that ridiculous videotaping 'scandal'. The greatest NFL team in history. But does all that matter if they lose the Superbowl to that other Manning who looks so green he should be playing for the Jets? You know...it DOES matter. In a big, big way.

The Patriots losing the Superbowl had a profound effect on me. At one time in my life, the Patriots coming away with a loss wouldn't have been a surprise. The Bears. The Packers. Both heart-breakers? Not quite. A bummer? Absolutely. But hey, we're New England sports fans. With the quadfecta of Pats, Sox, Celtics and Bruins all losing with such regularity that we couldn't even take a win without tearing it apart in analysis.

But now: the Patriots were coasting into history. The biggest game of the careers of those who eat stressful games for breakfast with a side order of humility. And they lost. Big time. I was waiting for the clutch play to bring us back, once again, from the brink of disaster. And this time it just didn't happen. I literally snapped my television remote in half as time expired and the television showed Michael Strahan's canyon-sized tooth gap and Manning's hayseed face.

To the rest of the country, this was the greatest game in history. Biggest upset ever. The Evil Empire falters against all odds. Luke fires the proton torpedoes without the use of the shipboard computer and manages to destroy the Deathstar. And he even looks a little like Eli Manning.

Even now as I write this, I am throughly depressed. Seriously. So heartbroken that I find myself not even wanting to participate as a viewer in the NFL season. I had vowed that I would never allow myself to become so emotionally involved with the Pats, the Sox or even the US Olympic team. After all, I need to watch the ol' blood pressure.

So here we are at Preseason. In a few weeks the season will begin. I haven't watched any games as of yet. Even my TiVo has been set to tape the Olympics, preempting football. I still cannot figure out, for the life of me, why it matters so much. After all, I do nothing in the participation of the sport other than as a spectator. Where did all these emotions come from? Are they learned behavior? Well, in a way, yes: my father is the exact same way. But he's still going to happily watch the 2008 season whereas I'm still debating. How on Earth do I get to the point where I can view this game on a television and enjoy the spectacle, win or lose?

I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

6 comments:

Gustavo Larry said...

The key to putting football in perspective is realizing that if they win or lose, it's not affecting your life at all. It's not going to put more money into your bank account if you win or take money out if they lose.....unless you are betting on the games....and if you're doing that, well, you should only bet what you can afford to lose. I'm playing on 3 fantasy football leagues this year. That's the most I've ever attempted. I'm also playing in one $10 buy-in league. I've never paid to play before, but it's only $10. I won that much in poker this weekend.

I hope the Pats do well....as long as they are on my fantasy team.

Sarah said...

I cannot believe you broke your remote! IN HALF NO LESS! Goodness gracious!

Sorry I am coming out of bad times where anger from football is concerned.

Not to get you all riled up again, but I effin hate ugmoe joe (aka loser who knocks up his gf and then leaves her for a supermodel) and was glad to shove the loss in his ugmoe face.

I don't know how you do it; I'm not THAT much of a football fan. Sure I cheer and shake my head at stupidity but if they win or lose I guess it doesn't affect me personally. It's just something to watch every week.

bully said...

dude best game ever.

followed closely by the 86 pats v. bears.

really i feel your pain tho, especially when the eagles lost to the f!@$#ing pats.

after that game i gave up on sports, just ask michelle. don't even watch them anymore, don't care really. plus with 3 soon to be 5 kids no time really.

latah
.bully

mulderjoe said...

You know, I may also be in your camp. No NFL this year. Maybe just to see what it's like.

I remember calling you after the Eagles lost to the Pats. I had every intention of gloating, but I think I'm glad I didn't.

Having twins really rocks, dude. Although having three already...I have no idea how you're gonna survive!!!

Kathy said...

can't believe I'm saying this (as I'd love to have my husband all to myself for the entire NFL season and not just on Saturdays) but suck it up. Football isn't a game for pussies so just deal with last year's loss, get back on the horse, use your own platitude, fill in the blank, etc.

When the Pats r kicking rump at the next SuperBowl, I'll need a date and don't want some feint-hearted, Obama-voting, fair-weather football fan, cake walking, card-carrying Red Sox/Streisand fan sitting next to me on the sofa.

Man up.
Seacrest out.

mulderjoe said...

I'm sorry, but you can't say "Man up" and follow that with "Seacrest Out"...