Thursday, July 31, 2008

Now there's a good line

Today via the good ol' AP:

AP - Democrat Barack Obama, the first black candidate with a shot at winning the White House, says John McCain and his Republican allies will try to scare them by saying Obama "doesn't look like all those other presidents on the dollar bills."

Now THAT is funny.

I thought that was an exaggeration until I read that one-third of all of John McCain's ads are anti-Obama. I was surprised that it's only 1/3...but anyway.

After the last post (below) and the cool discussion with Larry, I started thinking that pulling out of Iraq immediately would probably be the worst thing we could do. Think about it: we stupidly went into Iraq (no debate there) and ruined the whole damned country. Now, if we leave, we'll be like an unwelcome house get who makes a total mess of your house and doesn't even flush after an impressive bowel movement. Plus, you have a corrupt police force and lots of young men who would be furious at America for coming in and wrecking their country and will therefore do what they can to get back at the US. All supposition, I know. But not an unthinkable scenario.

So what do we do? I think McCain's original thought (I know he's revised it now) of America occupying Iraq for 100 years might be a tad too much. What we need is an exit strategy. Or...not. There's talk about the US setting up military bases and making Iraq a base of operations in the Middle East. That is a very interesting option. Could Iraq be the 51st state?! What would Old Glory look like? How do you make a pattern of 51 stars look cool? Maybe we should annex Puerto Rico to make it an even 52.

5 comments:

Gustavo Larry said...

Great post. I'm not a big fan of negative campaigning, but I see that there is a purpose in it to make sure that everyone is taking a look at the good and bad of each person. While I do support McCain over Obama, I don't agree with all of what McCain stands for. I think McCain's immigration policy is a joke. He believes in amnesty for all of the illegal immagrants who are already here in the United States. I think that's tremendously unfair to those hard working people who did the right thing and got in line like they were supposed to. What kind of message does that send to anybody following any of the other rules? I think it will just promote more illegal immagrants.

I agree with you that pulling out of Iraq would be stupid, but I don't think staying there for 100 years is the answer. We have to stay there long enough for the Iraqis to start to have a pride in their nation. I heard a report yesterday that 3 women were used by Al Queda in a suicide bombing at a Muslim parade celebration. The impressive thing is that they still went on with their celebration. That tells me that no matter what Al Queda is doing, the citizens are trying to show them that it won't disrupt them from living life. I think they've lived a life of fear for way too long and now they have the courage to start standing up to them. If the United States just sets up shop there, I think would be a great diservice to the Iraqi people. They need to start taking pride in themselves and their country. I think it's wise to keep a few military bases there like we have in other countries, but over time, we need to take more of a backseat as the Iraqi military becomes stronger. I'm sure there is corruption in their police and military, but I'm also sure there is corruption in our police here in the United States too.

Just my random thoughts on the issue.

Sarah said...

I agree, with both of you. Setting up for 100 years is just, well completely unreasonable to me. Like you said Larry, they have to start taking pride in their country, and their citizens. Staying their for 100 years seems to me that it would just be stunting their development.

We can and obviously need to help but we can't be seen as a complete crutch that will always be there. Because we won't always be there and they need to set up a democratic process that will work for them fairly!

mulderjoe said...

Yep. The key is, however, if they want a democracy and if the powers that be will be strong enough to take on those who would look to depose the fledgling government and bring another dictator or a terrorist faction into power.

I still vote for a making it a state...

Horroru said...

Me not be being cynical:
Damn Larry, you're saving me lots of typing! I agree with all your points -- glad Joe can hear it from someone other than myself (you state your positions less insanely than I do)

Me being cynical:
Obama is the first half Black half White candidate, to be technically correct. (Why doesn't his mother's ethnicity count? Is it because she was a working mom??)

Me being extra cynical:
Definitely make Iraq a state -- bring in cable TV, McDonald's, Sears: they'll be so taken with consumerism they'll stop all their fighting. We could build a giant shopping mall and Iran would make a nice parking lot! (evidence of stating my opinion insanely...)

Gustavo Larry said...

You know what Iraq needs....Wal-Mart. Nothing says this economy is going to grow than a huge place where people can spend all their money.