Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Things that drive me nuts

I really have no agenda for this blog. Just a place to clear out the mental junk drawer and maybe even amuse a few hapless readers who stumble here from Google or someplace. So, that being said, I always enjoy a good list of pet peeves. Here's my list for today:

Gas Prices
Save me your speeches about how America consumes way too much oil as it is and this is some sort of karmic equilibrium. We used to be one of, if not the most generous nations in the world in suppling aid to whichever country was in a bad way. While our current administration ruined our image to a point where France looks generous and polite, we're still a fairly ahead of the scale for good will to be coming back our way. No, I'm not saying that this good will should come in the form of low gas prices or countries shipping over their reserves to help. I'm asking that this good will be other countries relaxing on demonizing American culture.

So who can we demonize? After all, the hero needs a villian, yes? Well, let's see. We have essentially an economic recession at this point in time. Oil prices are higher than they've ever been and at the pump prices are enough for you to consider dusting off that bike in your garage.

What about the American oil companies? They've repeatedly said that they're not responsible for climbing gas prices yet post record profits. That's not their fault, you see. They run a business and they need to provide for their shareholders. So we can forgive them for this itty bitty hardship on the entire nation.

After all, if we want more oil, we should just occupy a middle-eastern country.


The Election
I'm often asked who I like for a candidate in the upcoming presidential elections. I'll say what I said for the last two elections: anyone but George Bush. The lesson here? My opinion means nada.


The War in Iraq
I still firmly believe that this war is underway because our president is just continuing his father's war. There are other reasons, of course. Bill Hicks called the first war the "Gulf War Distraction" as it took the public eye off of domestic issues. We could label this war GWD2, I suppose. But people are still very concerned with domestic issues, so no distracto here.

The thing that gets me so irritated about this war is it's taking place in the wrong country. Or maybe the right country at the wrong time. All of our efforts should be and have been focused on getting the Taliban and Bin Laden for the 9/11 tragedy. We had the world on our side...the whole damned world. If we successfully waged a war on terror and dismantled that particular terrorist faction, then we would have been a hugely celebrated nation and THEN we could have taken down Saddam Hussein's regime...probably with the world's blessing.

Everyone's a winner
Not too long ago, children were taught that no-one is a loser, everyone is a winner and the world can be theirs if they want it. You know what I'm talking about. Everyone gets a trophy. 4th grade graduation ceremony. A general celebration of mediocrity.

Well these kids are now becoming adults. And what do we have? A nation filling with young adults who don't care about the value of a hard day's work and are shocked when not given a 6 figure salary right out of the gate. The general sense of apathy and laziness prevails and rather than applying the lessons learned from failing, they give up.

Am I generalizing here? Of course I am. But if you're observant about society in the least, you'll see I'm not too far off.

The thing is, when I was growing up, I hated to lose. Not because I had a strong desire to win, but more of a fear of looking stupid, getting picked on, laughed at, etc. Only now do I realize that winning teaches you little but pride and handling victory well (if that's taught). Losing or failure generates terrific life lessons...especially getting up and trying again without fear of getting it wrong again.

If you can apply what you learn...not the facts but the methodology...you will become a productive member of society and work towards becoming an actualized human being. I say "you" because I still fear failure in the eyes of my peers and superiors. When you can't do, teach.

Things I invented first, I swear
No-one believes me, but I invented these things independent of my knowledge of them. I'm sure you have the same type of list. Here's mine:

The Monte Cristo sandwich: I've been making this sandwich for decades. I was PISSED when I saw it in a menu at a restaurant. Kinda a cool name, though.

The idea behind the movie "What dreams may come". Except my story was (is) significantly darker. I even have an outline from the late 80s in my desk drawer.

Cookie Dough Ice Cream: I'm sure everyone can lay claim to this one.

Mini-desserts: I was at P.F. Changs and had a fine meal. I wanted to have a sample of their famous "Great Wall of Chocolate" cake, but there's no way I could put a dent in such a huge slice. For years I've been saying that restaurants should offer a spoon-sized option for their dessert menu. Just for a taste. Even have a special where you can choose 3 or 5 spoon desserts for a variety. Well, P.F. Changs hasn't done the spoon idea, but they have 3-bite samplings of their dessert menu. Oh well...not something you can patent or trademark, I suppose.

Text Messenging
Ok, this is a rant, but do I want to say that I understand texting. I do...I get it completely. I personally prefer emailing or IMing rather than speaking on the phone, and texting on a cell is essentially just an extention of emailing. That being said, texting from a cell phone annoys the crap out of me for some reason. Maybe it's because the texter should be effing DRIVING rather than texting. Shit, I can't stand it when people talk on their cell phones while driving. Yet I see people every day in their cars on the highway typing away. The worst part is when they do get in their accident, they'll probably walk away fine leaving carnage in their wake.

I also don't get why you would text when the pricing for texting is outrageous. Yes, you can buy an all-encompassing flat rate for texting...but that's still too much. It's like when cell phones used to charge by minutes rather than offering a package. I suppose this is the same thing, but I believe that texting should be covered under your phone usage as if you were talking. Or even offer a text-only cell phone device. Don't talk on your phone? No problem! Here's a portable mini typewriter for ya.

Moving Pictures
I'm one of those people that gets so very annoyed that Hollywood feels the need these days to provide moral lessons, happy endings and overt messages in their films. That's why it's worth checking out independent films and foreign cinema where they are not confined by the studio's need to pander to the lowest common denomenator to ensure financial success (avarice, actually).

That being said, when I go to the movies these days...the last thing I want to do is think. I love summertime movies. LOVE them. Blockbusters all the way, baby. Give me explosions, car/vehicle chases, martial arts, gunplay, boobs, bombs, and a hearty sense of humor. Or pretty much anything by Pixar.

Recently I've developed a penchant for disaster movies. Especially wide-scale planetary distruction movies. I've mocked "Armageddon" and "Independence Day (ID4)" for countless hours...but I will ALWAYS watch them when they're on. On FX, they've been showing "The Fifth Element" which is one of my all-time favorite Bruce Willis action movies. As a matter of fact, I love most of his action oeuvre. Even "Hudson Hawk" and "Last Boy Scout". Utter crap, but I love 'em. Yes I do.

That's it for now. Cheers.

No comments: